Derek Layne Peterson
Marketing, Design & Communications
(Ph) 402-850-6256 • (Em) Derek@dpeterson.net • (Wb) www.dpeterson.net
I have versatile marketing abilities with proven, real-world proficiencies in planning, design and writing. I am a self-starter, team player, and leader with a strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
Marketing Planning and Execution; Brand Management; Art Direction; Graphic Design; Creative and Business Writing; Online Marketing; Budgeting; Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud.
CAREER HISTORY & KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Senior Marketing Specialist / Graphic Designer / Copywriter – 2013 to present
NiteLight Marketing – Papillion, Nebr.
- Occasionally provide complete marketing services to friends, community partners and charitable causes.
Marketing and Sales Associate – 2015 to 2016
Financial Transmission Network − Omaha, Nebr.
- Gathered marketing materials from third-party agencies and vendors for in-house marketing management.
- Standardized materials’ designs, colors, typefaces, logo use, and all other aspects of brand management.
- Designed and wrote press releases, success stories, flyers, brochures, e-books, emails, webpages, and more.
- Serviced a HubSpot-based website, originating pages and emails, and designing graphics for calls-to-action.
Marketing Design Manager (promoted to this position) – 2010 to 2013
Senior Marketing Specialist (promoted to this position) – 2003 to 2010
Marketing Specialist (promoted to this position) – 2001 to 2003
Marketing Coordinator – 1999 to 2001
Securities America − Omaha, Nebr.; La Vista, Nebr.
- Spurred growth of the firm’s marketing staff and capabilities to a 10-person in-house creative team.
- Established sophisticated, personalized in-house printing with optimal software, hardware and inventory.
- Produced national advertising including design, media planning, negotiating, buying and placement.
- Created marketing for the corporation, its departments and nearly 2,000 affiliated independent businesses.
- Managed public relations and communications including working with publications and writing releases, letters, articles, email, speeches and more for the Executive Leadership Team and department leaders.
- Diagnosed reputation risk generated by Internet search engines. Search results were 100% negative above the fold and 65% negative on page one. Studied the challenge, developed counter measures and directed online reputation management resulting in consistently 100% positive search results on page one.
- Demonstrated to Executive Leadership the value of short-term and long-term online brand strategies, and gained approval and budget to address the needs.
- Spearheaded the strategy and building of a scalable infrastructure for a modern online presence positioned to meet evolving corporate and digital needs.
- Developed, presented for approval and supervised an annual marketing budget greater than $2 million.
- Appointed marketing subject matter expert for the firm’s first acquisition of another firm. Built and executed the communications section of a 1,500-line item acquisition ‘to do’ list.
- Produced on-site and overnight a 24-page, full-color, large format daily magazine for annual five-day National Conferences in different cities each year.
“Leadership Sarpy” Leadership Program
Legacy Project: “Historic Downtown Papillion Walking Tour” with markers, maps, and promotions
Master of Business Administration Degree from Iowa State University − GPA: 3.5 / 4.00
Major: Management with a uniquely designed Marketing emphasis
Marketing Research Assistantship; Transportation & Logistics and Accounting Teaching Assistantships
Bachelor of Arts Degree from Morningside College − GPA: 3.78 / 4.00 – Magna Cum Laude Graduate
Double Majors: Graphic Design and Business Administration with an Advertising emphasis
Double Minors: Mass Communications and Studio Art